Sunday, March 02, 2003

yee hay

Last friday I received great news: I've been awarded a "magna cum laude" degree, to be received on march 15th. The selection process included an interview with four deans from school, where I was asked wheter or not I watched TV, and what was that thing called "Linux Day" that was t be held at the school (shamefully I couldn't atted, but that gave mean opportunity to talk to such an important audience about open source, and even to give them pointers to "Free as in Freedom")


So far I've been working for about ten days, so it is to soon to say anything, but, up until now, it's been great. I have been working with the AS/400 and for me, mostly a PC kind of guy, the whole concept of interface on the AS/400 has come as a complete surprise.


Whatever is said here might be completely wrong, as I have only started to grasp the ways and uses of the machine, so this is just a preliminar opinion
From what I've seen these machines have a shell that can accomplish, through a command, any task that can be performed by choosing things in text menus and selecting options, which is the normal interface used to interact with the machine. There is a batch like language, called CL, but I have not yet seen pipes or redirections, or the concept of standard output (it looks like it is a sequential spool, instead of a stream).


From where I'm standing the homo corporativus is a very different species from the homo universitarius, in some aspects it is more evolved, while on others it has just emerged from the primal soup. The main difference, however, is the driving force; for the homo universitarius it is the sense of "finishing"; ending the career, ending the semester, ending the current job, finishing reading or whatever. The homo corporativus, however, seems to have lost this characteristic through a series of mutations, so whatever is not done today, will be done tomorrow, or the next day. In a way, corporativus has more time, and consequently, lives in less of a hurry.

No comments: